It’s a cold and very windy day here in South Dakota, making it the perfect day for some baking! This recipe was created by my grandpa, who was “crunchy” before “crunchy” was cool! He spent hours in the kitchen creating healthy recipes that also tasted great! My sister and I always got to lick the bowl when he was done too! Bonus!
Yankee Banana Bread
“The sweetness of molasses,
The whole wheat flavor’s zest
Join dates and ripe bananas
To make this loaf the best.”
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal (I’m sure he would recommend non GMO now)
2 tsp Best Baking Powder (recipe to follow)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup mashed ripe bananas
1 Cup Buttermilk
3/4 Cup Molasses (There are carrying degrees of molasses. Black strap is going to be the darkest)
3/4 Cup Dates, cut up
1. In mixing bowl stur together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and soda.
2. Mix together molasses, banana, and buttermilk.
3. Blend wet ingredients into dry mixture. Add dates.
4. Turn batter into three 5/12 x 3 greased and floured loaf pans, or four rouind one poind tin cans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until tests done with toothpick.
6. After ten minutes remove from pans or cans and cool n rack. Enjoy!
Best Baking Powder
“Leavening that you can make;
It’s best for everything you bake!”
Best baking powder is low in sodium and free of aluminum compunds. Here is the formula:
2 parts cream of tartar
2 parts arrowroot powder
1 part potassium bicarbonate
Potassium bicarbonate can be found on amazon.
If you try it, let me know! I hope you enjoy it! ~Laura